This is my first attempt at a Storytime Blog, stay patient and stay tuned, I hope to post some great stuff.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Mitten

A co-worker and I sat for a while one day and tried to figure out how we could make an expanding mitten, one that would get bigger as the different animals snuggled in - we couldn't come up with any good ideas, so here is what I made instead.










A mitten out of card stock, with a pocket in the back that I could slide the animals into as I told the story.
If you go to Jan Brett's web-site: http://www.janbrett.com/, specific page - http://janbrett.com/tell_your_own_mitten_story_animals.htm you can print off a picture (black & white outline) of the animals from the story. I colored and laminated them to use for this flannel board. I also used them for an arts & crafts after storytime once. I cut mittens out of construction paper, punched holes all around the edges and let the kids use yarn to sew their mitten together, then they each got a print out of the sheet I linked above so they could fill their mitten with all the animals too.

2 comments:

Library Quine said...

Nice story props. I think this will work really well for the family storytime I have coming up, and you've given me the idea for a craft too! Now, just how big did you have to make that mitten?

Alison said...

The mitten isn't very big, I think I used and 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of cardstock. I colored and cut out the animals first, then made the mitten so they all would fit.